Have a safe and fun holiday by recognizing the specific care needs of seniors and using these safety tips for elderly relatives to prevent falls.
The holidays provide an excellent opportunity to visit with senior loved ones. Often, it is not possible to spend a lot of quality time during the year. Also, it is a perfect time to make sure that an elderly loved one’s holiday is safe on top of being joyous. Regardless of if a senior is enjoying the season in their place or someone else’s home, considering these safety tips for elderly relatives can ensure that everyone’s holiday is happy and bright.
- Use basic decorations that do not cause clutter. Always confirm that there is plenty of room to walk.
- Always keep extension cords out of the way of walking areas to protect against tripping.
- Instead of candles, use colorful centerpieces of fruit or flowers, or choose battery-powered candles.
- Holiday lights are beautiful, but dimmer as compared to regular lighting.
- Look at all areas of the house to ensure that there is adequate illumination.
- Poor lighting can conceal tripping risks and make it difficult to see around furnishings.
- Put a nightlight in the bedroom and bathroom the senior will be using.
- Make sure light switches are easily accessible.
- Many holiday decorations increase the risk of falling.
- Keep floors free of clutter.
- Keep exterior sidewalks clear.
- Rearrange furniture so everyone can freely move around it.
- Place non-slip pads underneath rugs.
- Keep active pets from running around while the older person is moving throughout the home.
- Identify a particular out-of-the-way area for children to play with their new toys while the senior is visiting.
It is important to acknowledge the unique care needs of the elderly during the holiday season to make their home, or visits to a relative’s house, safe and fun. Be alert for any Warning Signs That Senior Care Services Are Needed. For more information on home modifications to help make the holiday season safer for seniors, or any other in-home care needs, contact the Home Care experts at Hibernian Home Care. We can provide an in-home safety assessment by a Registered Nurse and Certified Case Manager to make the house as safe as it can be for a senior loved one, recommend adaptations, and offer a full range of Home Care Services throughout Monmouth and Ocean Counties in New Jersey. You can reach us any time through our Contact Us Form or by calling (732) 481-1148.