“If I could only have just a few more hours in the day to get everything done!” If you are in the “sandwich generation,” most likely you can relate to this sentiment of caregiver fatigue, as you are constantly juggling the needs of your children and the needs of your aging parents. As a result, it is common for family members to experience caregiver fatigue. Try the following suggestions which may help to shave just a few minutes off your many to-do lists.
- Strategically plan tasks. Make a plan for regular duties to enhance efficiency. For example, map out errand-running to plan required stops in the most efficient way. Also, combine projects such as washing laundry and grocery shopping for your elderly family member with your own.
- Stock the car. Put a box of useful items in the trunk to have readily available at all times. For example, comfortable walking shoes, a jacket or sweater, toiletries, healthy snacks with a long shelf life – all that you feel might be convenient for the specific circumstances you might find yourself in on any given day.
- Do not go to urgent care facilities if you can help it. Urgent care visits may lead to hours of time lost spent in the waiting room. Consider contacting the doctor instead to try to get a same-day visit, in particular mid-morning. This time is when the day’s canceled appointments have not yet been filled.
- Keep all of the paperwork organized. Most importantly, have copies of all paperwork together, perhaps in a brightly colored, easily identifiable folder. This is essential in the event of an emergency. The documents in the folder should include: power of attorney, a list of medications and emergency contacts, advance directive, health care proxy and medical insurance information.
- Stay positive. Try having a few peaceful moments the first thing in the morning. Reflecting on the important things you’re thankful for could go a long way towards reducing stress and setting the stage for a more productive and positive day.
Finally, for more ideas and suggestions, see “Life Hacks for the Busy Caregiver.”
The very best tip to defeat caregiver fatigue is partnering with a professional Home Care agency, like Hibernian Home Care, proudly serving Monmouth & Ocean Counties in New Jersey. We can assist in more ways than you might realize. Our services including running errands, shopping, meal preparation, light housekeeping, and more, along with hands-on personal care and companionship. Call us at 732-481-1148 or fill out the Contact Us form for more information. Discover a stress-free life for both yourself and your senior loved one!